I may choose to ignore people who comment anonymously. I choose never to be anonymous online myself. I have little tolerance for this behavior.

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Old Enough to Get Along

After my father died my mother started talking to us kids about things she had presumably reserved for him. At least, I don't remember them being mentioned until then.

She would complain about people at Church or comment about neighbors or friends. Up to that time, it was a world I was unfamiliar with. Suddenly, I was painfully aware of the shortcomings of adults.

As I pondered this information and what I was learning, a phrase that had been repeatedly said to me as a child came into my mind:
Aren't you old enough to know how to get along?
I was pretty disgusted to find out that adults had essentially the same problems as kids. I thought there was still merit in the notion that adults should continually progress and replace childish behaviors with more adult ones.


I thought then that age should result in improvement. I still think it should. I just don't think it always does.

No comments:

Post a Comment