I may choose to ignore people who comment anonymously. I choose never to be anonymous online myself. I have little tolerance for this behavior.

Friday, May 7, 2010

Glenn Beck and Liberty University's Commencement Address

My dislike of Glenn Beck is obvious from prior blog entries on October 25, 2009 and March 15, 2010 . However, I see his invitation to speak at Liberty University's Commencement to be progress.


I lived in Roanoke, Virginia from 1990-1992. While there I served in a Single Adult Stake calling in the Church. While serving, I met a Liberty University student who was a Mormon convert. He was disabled with what appeared to be a degenerative, chronic illness. He was usually confined to a wheel chair but could walk for very short distances.


Most Mormon converts were energetic missionaries but this guy took it to a whole new level. In addition, he was enormously upbeat and positive about everything in his life.


He was suffering extreme persecution while at Liberty. He was set to graduate soon but he was informed that he might not be allowed to graduate because he was Mormon. Campus security personnel would monitor him while on campus to ensure that he did not try and share his testimony or the gospel. They would search his backpack and confiscate any copies of the Book of Mormon he had. He was finally informed that he would be allowed to graduate but that he would be banned from ever visiting campus as soon as graduation was over. They even held his diploma and delayed sending it to him. I do not know for sure if he ever received it.


So, to invite a known Mormon to campus to address the university as an honored commencement speaker suggests some real progress at Liberty.

No comments:

Post a Comment