I may choose to ignore people who comment anonymously. I choose never to be anonymous online myself. I have little tolerance for this behavior.

Friday, April 2, 2010

NPR and the lost state of "Deseret"

In my opinion of NPR has dropped a bit from reading the article entitled, "Beyond 50: American States That Might Have Been." The sub-story entitled, "Excerpt: 'Lost States': Deseret" by Michael J. Trinklein, cavalierly sums up Brigham Young's motivation for moving the entire Mormon Church to the Salt Lake Valley as a solution to the "angry bachelor problem" as if that could really explain what any rational person, let alone seasoned historians, would have to acknowledge as multiple complex motivations.

Trinklein also presents some tortured logic for why the boundaries for the state of Deseret were proposed. Young's proposed state of Deseret simply encompassed all the Mormon settlements he established during his leadership. Mormon history easily establishes that. Trinklein does not come across as a serious scholar on any level.

This is a fluff piece, unworthy of NPR. I am unlikely to shell out $24.95 for Trinklein's book.

No comments:

Post a Comment