I may choose to ignore people who comment anonymously. I choose never to be anonymous online myself. I have little tolerance for this behavior.

Friday, December 25, 2009

Radio Host Delilah and the Controversy Over her Kid's School

Radio host Delilah has removed her children from attending Crosspoint Academy. I'll try and quote her reasons from the article:

“I would like to say that I am merely ‘deeply concerned’ about a recent addition to the school’s teaching philosophy, but instead, I am forced to admit I am actually HORRIFIED by the recent addition of a book by Mormon author Steven (sic) Covey,” she wrote in a Nov. 24 open letter to Crosspoint parents.

“He intends to indoctrinate the world with his theology by wiring it in a way that people can accept,” she said.

If the article can be relied on to be accurate, Delilah is reacting to the fact that Covey wrote the materials that are going to be used as materials in her children's school. She does not attack anything in the materials as being inconsistent with Christian faith. In fact, there are not any quotes detailing what she finds as objectionable. It seems to be a knee-jerk reaction to Covey himself and his religion rather than the materials. She appears to assume that because Covey wrote them they are "Mormon" beliefs and not "Christian" beliefs as if the two beliefs systems are separate and inconsistent. I do not believe they are.

If this assumption on my part is accurate then I think Delilah is prejudiced in the worst sense. If I were a parent, I would examine the beliefs that were being taught rather than the person that wrote them. I have embraced many ideas from members of other faiths such as the late Richard John Neuhaus. From what I have learned, Neuhas did not like Mormons, but some Mormon leaders such as M. Russell Ballard, Dallin H. Oaks and Alexander B. Morrison have quoted from Neuhaus' ideas.

A few clues in the article suggest Delilah's concerns go further than Covey.

Delilah said smaller issues have led her to believe Crosspoint is trying to rebrand itself to attract families familiar and comfortable with Covey, but not perhaps with Christianity. A plaque with the Ten Commandments was recently moved from a prominent spot in the school’s main hallway to a not-so-prominent classroom. A “Seven Habits” poster advocating meditation was put up at Crosspoint, with a Bible verse taped to it “as if to make Eastern religion acceptable to the Christian,” Delilah wrote in her Nov. 24 letter.

“They even changed the school’s name to take the Lord’s name out,” she said.

Delilah seems to assume that Covey's ideas are inconsistent with Christianity but does not go into any details. I have to wonder if she would have reacted to the ideas and materials if she read them without knowing who the author was. Again, I find this to be bigotry.


No comments:

Post a Comment