I may choose to ignore people who comment anonymously. I choose never to be anonymous online myself. I have little tolerance for this behavior.

Monday, December 14, 2009

Exposure to Luxury Can Affect Us

One of my listserv's produced a link to a working paper posted on a Harvard Business School site: The Devil Wears Prada? Effects of Exposure to Luxury Goods on Cognition and Decision Making. You can find it at this address: http://hbswk.hbs.edu/item/6317.html

"Although the concept of luxury has been widely discussed in social theories and marketing research, relatively little research has directly examined the psychological consequences of exposure to luxury goods. This paper demonstrates that exposure to luxury goods increases individuals' propensity to prioritize self-interests over others' interests, influencing the decisions they make."

I don't think people like to talk about subjects like this. Most of us don't want to admit that our coveting may actually affect our thinking and behavior towards others, but research suggests that it does just that.

Our coveting probably affects others as much as it does ourselves and not in good ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment