I may choose to ignore people who comment anonymously. I choose never to be anonymous online myself. I have little tolerance for this behavior.

Sunday, October 25, 2009

Glenn Beck? What do I think of him . . .

As a 7th generation Mormon, conservative Republican with a Ph.D. in government, I would hope my opinion counts for something.

I had neutral feelings about Glenn Beck until it came out that he is a W. Cleon Skousen fan. Skousen was poised to sink into the obscurity he so richly deserves when Beck resurrected him by plugging one of Skousen's books.

I have read Skousen and we had some of his books at home when I was growing up. I have looked into his ideas and I can honestly say that I have never found a shred of evidence that supports them. In fact, the opposite is true.

What little interest or respect I had for Beck was obliterated when I discovered he is a Skousen fan. I do not think Beck will remain a Mormon if he continues as such. This is just a hunch. I do not think I would have remained in the church myself if I had not turned away from Skousen.

There is a simple way to discredit Skousen, all you have to do is look up his quotes and references. Doing this will convince you that his ideas have little or no basis in fact and that he twists facts to fit his ideas.

I have only heard Beck occasionally myself and have read a handful of articles and seen a few news snippets of him. Without Skousen I thought he was vaguely amusing and relatively harmless. Obviously that has changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment